National Cemetery Data Record
June 30, 1975

The National Cemetery system was authorized by Congress in July 17, 1862. This site was purchased in 1867.

The first superintendent, Mathew Dillingham, is interred in the cemetery, section 11.

Other later superintendents included:
Maurice Kelly August 23, 1933 - August 1948
Chester R. Lightfritz August 23, 1948 – January 21, 1958
John W. Clemons February 1, 1958 – August 31, 1961
Norman W. Kelly August 13, 1961 – June 30, 1973
Clifford E. Filteau May 29, 1973 – [Current superintendent]

1973 information states the developed acreage is 5.065 acres. The 1939 survey showed 4.9 acres, to which was added 0.7 acres donated in 1953 by the City of Wilmington.

Total Interments: 4,185
Gravesites used: 4,062
Reserved gravesites: 87
Gravesites available within developed area: 621
Group interments: 6 groups, 222 remains

Interments:
1973: 94
1974: 111
1975: 104

As of June 30, 1974, 27 Southeast Asia combat fatality interments had been made in this cemetery.

Approximate closing date: 1976

Two story ‘lodge,’ home for the Superintendent, built in 1934, 1544 square feet

Source: “Wilmington National Cemetery;” New Hanover County Public Library, North Carolina Room; Bill Reaves Collection, Subject files; -photocopy.

Notes in [ ] by psa.


Back to Top                Close this window